Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Intro Post for EDUC 6814


Greetings All!  My name is Jana and I’m working on my Masters of the Arts of Teaching (MAT).  I will be certified to teach high school chemistry.  In the past I taught a general chemistry laboratory at FSU and had a blast.  I am excited to be completing my student teaching this semester at East Fairmont High.  I cannot wait to put some of my ideas into action with my students.

I chose this class because the course description interested me and I want to learn more ways to incorporate technology in the classroom.  I wanted to choose a class that would keep my interest because I know I will be busy with student teaching.  After reading the syllabus I feel I have chosen the right class and will not have to “work” instead I will enjoy what I’m learning. 

I am not currently a huge gamer but I have been in the past.  I don’t seem to have the free time I used to which is something I hear a lot of other people say.  I have always been a fan of solitary on the computer, phone, IPod, IPad, etc.  I enjoy the game with cards but electronics make it easier.  In my “younger years” I played a computer game called Zoo Tycoon.  My best friend, at the time, would spend hours playing that game.  We lived in a small town and did not really have any other way of occupying our time when we couldn’t go outside. 

My feelings about kids and video games change depending on the circumstances.  There are some games that are educational and the child is actually learning while they are playing.  I feel these types of video games are helpful for students.  Technology is becoming more important in today’s society so children should be exposed to it with limits.  On the other hand some children do nothing but play video games.  Generally these games are not educational but violent.  I am not completely against this type of games but I feel its use should be limited.  I guess my overall position would be video games are acceptable but should be limited regardless of the type of game.  As with anything I feel a case by case decision would be appropriate for a given specific situation. 

When searching the topic of the effect of video games on children’s learning I came across a blog called Science Blogs™.  The post was about a study conducted in Chile in 2002.  The study contained three groups of first and second grade students.  The first group was taught a lesson using a video game, the second group knew about the video game but was taught using a lecture, while the third group was in a different school, knew nothing about the video game, and was taught the same lesson.  I decided to link to this post because I found it interesting and relative.  I have read other posts in this blog before and was surprised to find one related to the topic I was studying. 

In 1984 ...
…Ronald Reagan (Republican) defeated Walter Mondale (Democrat) in the United States Presidential Election.
… The AIDS virus was discovered.
… The first megabit chip was made at Bell Labs.
…On Dec. 29 I was born!

9 comments:

  1. Your article choice was very interesting and good luck with the student teaching this semester. I am currently teaching my second year and it is a major task with so many obstacles to teach - but the reward of a student learning is worth it all.

    Students love games and if we can find a way to teach using their interests we will be able to teach so much more content through them because they will think they are just having fun while they are in fact learning - similar to your reasoning for taking this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jana - Nice article. I would concur with the results of the study. It is much the same tactics I employed in the mid 90s in teaching my children to type. Mavis Beacon was the "first" video game for my children, but it was quickly replaced with Sonic & Color Me.

    Pres. Reagan was the last truly great man to hold that office, and there will never be another like him. I was also young, foolish, and living in Washington DC. I went to an American Film Fest dinner ($100 a plate), where I saw Rock Hudson. The concensus at my table was that he had cancer, he was dead within the year from Aids. We didn't know what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, I agree that it is important for our students to be engaged with technology, since it is something they will most likely continue to use after school. Educational games are great in the classroom. The ones I used during student teaching were really motivating for the kids; they thought they were playing, but they learned a lot.

    I was born three months after you, so I don't remember those events. Good luck with the student teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I stated on another blog, I don't know what society's fascination with violent games is. Games can be a useful educational tool. Parents need to pay attention to what their children watch and play.

    I actually remember when Walter Mondale ran against President Reagan and the fear that spread across the nation as AIDS made its way into the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jana! That article describes the kinds of games i would like the participants in this class to create with the Program called SCRTACH!

    Interesting article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My views on gaming depend on the circumstance as well! and wow, you just made 1984; almost a New Year's Eve baby;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Technology skills and familiarity are important to students in this growing society. However, not every game is a "good" game for kids to be focusing all their attention on. That is why it is essential for parents to monitor kid's video gaming.

    I have a friend who was born December 31st. He was almost a New Year's baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vanessa, I too was born in 1984, cool! I feel it is a nice round number, and a special year. Probably because I was born in it. But I like the year, and now it seems so ....long ago...!! But I did know the AIDS virus was discovered this year. I saw the AIDS quilt display once in a college gym. I remember it was pretty unbelievable and kind of ingrained in my mind. I thought about that experience when sitting through a presentation from a technology guy, and realized this was a type of learning experience I should try to promote as a teacher because I realized the whole scope of the effect of AIDS by my direct hands-on experience. Anyhow, I agree that violent video game overload is a front-runner in the negative views of kids and video games. If we could find balance between game time and purpose there would be a much more universal approval of kids playing video games.

    ReplyDelete