Sunday, March 3, 2013

Double Entry Journal #6

“Not surprisingly and as mentioned earlier, one of the findings that emerged from our research was that students spend a large proportion of their time out-of-school playing digital games” (Spires, Lee, and Lester, 2008).

I chose the above quote from the article because I completely agree with it.  Students spend a lot of time with technology and digital society.  I know most of my high school students carry cell phones many of which are connected to the internet which allows them to “keep in contact.”  By having a phone the students can not only keep in touch through text messages or calls but they can also get on Facebook or Twitter.  There is absolutely no doubt most students spend a large amount of time involved in the digital world. 

For my accompanying resource, I chose a short article from Edutopia.org titled Game-Based Learning to Teachand Assess 21st Century Skills.  The article discusses 21st century skills and how games can teach and assess these skills. 

Resources:
Miller, A. (2012). Game-Based Learning to Teach and Assess 21st Century Skills. Edutopia.org. <http://www.edutopia.org/blog/game-learning-21st-century-skills-andrew-miller>

Spires, H. A., Lee, J. K., & Lester, J. (2008). The 21st century learner and game based learning. Meridian, 11(1), Retrieved from <http://www.ncsu.edu/meridian/win2008/21st/03.htm>

 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your statements and I really liked the link you provided. I will bookmark it and use it as a reference in my other studies. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there is no doubt most students spend a large amount of time in the digital world, especially with smart phones. I have been thinking about how to use smart phones in the classroom. I had this crazy idea once to start a twitter feed for different historical figures, like students could post as Thomas Jefferson agonizing over words to use in the Declaration of Independence or something. I also love that students have camera's available to them in their pockets for projects. But, I worry about class differences and social standings that relate to their phones too. I know this doesn't have a lot to do with what you posted but it has my brain turning some! Thanks for the post - I liked the article you used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the article you posted. A quote that stood out from the article you posted was, "Well-designed games require players to solve a variety of complex problems."

    That is very important for educators to remember that not all games are treated equal; all games aren't "well-designed." When incorporating games into the classroom it is important for us to look for games that require plays to solve a variety of complex problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are making connections between game-based learning and 1st century skills. Many educators think that using a SmartBoard is 21st century when it really bout problem-solving and collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students are always telling me that the reason they sleep in class is because they stay up all night playing video games. I agree with your comment about "staying in contact or touch with the digital world" (summarizing).
    The resource you found could also describe Problem/Project-based learning as well as game-based learning.

    ReplyDelete