Sunday, March 10, 2013

Double Entry Journal #7

“Literacy” has been defined differently throughout history owing to changes in societal demands. The definition of traditional literacy is the ability to read, write, communicate, and comprehend and has encompassed language skills evolved from writing, vocabulary knowledge, and meaning construction” (Hsu and Wang, 2010).

I enjoyed this week’s article.  It has aspects that apply to me and further enlightened my knowledge of gaming and education.  There are a lot of good ideas in the article which would help incorporate gaming into the classroom.  I have been learning a lot about literacy and this article is no different.  I feel the ideas in the article are very positive and I enjoyed reading it.
For my supporting article I decided to search literacy and gaming.  The video I chose can be found ­here­.  This video is basically and interview from someone from WeroCreative.com and his presentation of the future of gaming and education.  He discusses “blended learning” which is a combination of old and new media and on- and off-line spaces which create a safe learning environment for students.  The article was inspiring and made me do a little more research about WeroCreative.com.
References:

Clare. A. (2010). Games, Gaming, Literacy and Education. AssociationMediaLit. < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlafLO-VLuQ >
Hsu, H., & Wang, S. (2010). Using gaming literacies to cultivate new literacies. Simulation & Gaming, 41, pp. 400-417. doi:10.1177/1046878109355361

2 comments:

  1. I like the concept of blended learning! We need to throughout everything we have done in education we just need to expand what we already do to include the new literacies emerging as a result of rapid advancement in digital communication tools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this week's article as well for many of the same reasons that you did. Your related link was also interesting; I had not heard of the term blended learning but it makes sense for educational software.

    ReplyDelete