Sunday, March 24, 2013

Double Entry Journal #8

“Today, literacy can be broadly defined as including any type of communicative interaction involving speaking, reading, listening, and writing with text in print and non-print forms” Kafai, and Peppler.

I chose the above quote because I have talked about literacy many times before in my blogs.  I became aware of the actual definition and how much it matters in a previous class.  I did not consider myself literate but have completely changed my mind since learning more about literacy.  It is very important and includes so much more than just reading a book as I had first thought. 

When looking for my additional source I began to search digital literacy.  I found the following video from the Literacy Design Collaborative (LDC) on YouTube, LDC: Literacy Matters.  This video is great for teachers and discusses how to create a LDC lessons from start for finish with an example from a real teachers. 

References:

Kafai, Y., & Peppler, K. (n.d.). Collaboration, computation, and creativity: Media arts practices in urban youth culture. Retrieved from http://download.scratch.mit.edu/CSCL07_peppler.pdf

LDC: Literacy Matters video.  Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5EnOVjRPGI

7 comments:

  1. Jana - Thanks for the video. Literacy in this context is so important to the success of students. It is really nice to see a video that provides inspiration to assist in the development of curriculum in support of Literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video you chose is very informative! I like how they show you the lesson from start to finish. It has me thinking about how I can incorporate using mini lessons that build to a bigger project into my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too thought that literacy was just reading skills. It wasn't until I started this major and taking these classes that I realized there is literacy in everything. Not just books and reading. Also, I enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing. I like how the video is trying to get the students to be able to do the work independently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video is a nice example of instructional design for the development of meaningful literacy skills essential in the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that literacy is much more than just "good reader/bad reader." 21st century skills go beyond how well a person can read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this class has opened my eyes on how much literacy can be learned outside of traditional reading sources. Good quote and link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the video - it gave a really clear example that walked us through the LDC process. I agree literacy is about so much more than reading a book - and this video really showcased so.... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete