Sunday, April 7, 2013

Double Entry Journal #10


“In any case, the fact that computer games have become a major industry means that in many people’s lives computer gameplay features as a very pleasurable and entertaining, but also at times frustrating and challenging, activity” (Arnseth, 2006).

“The important point to make is that the order of words says something about focus and emphasis. Regarding playing to learn, the emphasis is on learning, which is to say that some content or skill should be the end result of game playing. As such, knowledge and skills are treated as effects or outcomes. In regard to learning to play, on the other hand, the emphasis is on the activity of playing. As such, learning might be regarded as an integrated part of mastering an activity, in this case, gameplay” (Arnseth, 2006).

“According to such a view, the object of study is how people in and through their participation in gaming activities construct social identities, relationships, competencies and languages” (Arnseth, 2006).

I had difficulty choosing three quotes from this article.  I enjoyed reading it and it made a lot of since.  I have always wondered about the distinction between playing to learn and learning to play.  I believe they can go hand-in-hand especially with the right guidance.  I remember learning to spell my middle name by playing a game with my grandfather.  This is a prime example of both playing to learn and learning to play and why I chose the second and third quotes. 

The increasing importance of technology has been discussed several times by everyone in the class.  This is why I chose the first quote. 

For my resource, I chose the following an article from The Journal of Applied Educational Technology.  Simulations: Bringing the benefits ofsituated learning to the traditional classroom is an article written by Les Lunce.  I felt this article is straight from this week’s topic.  It discusses simulations which are useful games for teaching.  I had a science ethics class and one of the assignments was to play an ethics game simulation.  It was a great way to get us, the students, involved and actually in the shoes of someone else. 

Arnseth, H. (Dec. 2006). Learning to Play or Playing to Learn – A Critical Account of the Models of Communication Informing Educational Research on Computer Gameplay. Game Studies, 76:1. Retrieved on April 5, 2013 from http://gamestudies.org/0601/articles/arnseth.

4 comments:

  1. Great article! I really like the idea of the river ecosystems simulation. I taught a unit on ecosystems while I was student teaching, and we covered topics such as organisms and food chains. This resource would be great to add to my unit in the future. I think the kids would really enjoy how interactive it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article about situated learning and making classroom learning more real world! This would be a great topic for your final literature review!

    A good question for your review could be:

    How can video games create authentic learning opportunities in school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your assessment of your quotes. Both types of learning in games are important in finding games that contribute to the classroom.
    I enjoyed reading through your article as well because it is on the same subjects that we are studying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that your article discusses the importance of real-world learning and application. We have been talking about that a lot (at least I have) in this class. Kids are always asking, "why do I have to learn this?" or they say, "I'm never going to use this", which is why relevant, real-world problems are vital in school.

    ReplyDelete