Monday, April 15, 2013

Double Entry Journal 11

“In my mind, play and learning can and should be intimately linked. Each, at its best, involves a process of experimentation, exploration, and testing the boundaries” (Resnick).

I chose the above quote because I truly believe what it says.  Linking play and learning allows students to be creative when they are thinking.  This allows for thinking outside the box and exploring.  In a classroom setting, many students are scared to think outside the box because they might be ridiculed for their thoughts.  Creating a setting where students are playing leads them to believe they are not going to be judged by their peers.  This allows them to be more creative and explore their ideas. 

When Googling the topic play and learning I came across the following webpage: Play, Creativity, and Lifelong Learning.  I chose this as my additional resource because it contains different short articles about playing. 

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree about students being afraid to think outside the box. I have students who are so afraid of getting the wrong answer that it prevents them from thinking creatively. They believe there is only the right answer and the wrong answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your additional resource - especially the one that read you learn "its okay to lose." That's a life lesson, for sure! I completely agree that learning should be fun. I thought your insight that games allow students to think outside the box because it creates a non-judgement space is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the greatest lessons I have learned have been through play. And not always the type of unorganized play of childhood. My best learning experiences in college have been when I have had the opportunity to play and explore based upon a very broad topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about students not thinking outside the box. A brainstorming session is common in a development meeting as an adult, but for some people this is new and they are afraid to speak their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring up an excellent point about students feeling better about exploring, creating, and trial-and-error when they are playing rather than in a traditional classroom because of embarrassment and ridicule. I believe that students should be able to make mistakes and feel comfortable doing so within the classroom. The classroom environment needs to be safe for kids to explore and invent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of allowing student to explore and create. It is so important to inspire creativity in the classroom and allow them to create their ideas. This will inspire a learning and help the student to learn the processes to create and function in life after high school.

    ReplyDelete