Saturday, February 16, 2013

Double Entry Journal 4

“Video games are a legitimate medium of expression.  They recruit important digital literacy practices” (Steinkuehler, 2010).

            I selected the above quote because I strongly agree with it.  Video games are a way for the player to express themselves.  This is especially true in a virtual world or game that allows the player to create their character.  As a player creates their avatar or character they are putting part of themselves into that character.  They have a say on the characters hair, cloths, face, etc. 

            I learned a lot about digital literacy in a previous class, as with this class, my opinions changed based on the readings from the class.  At the beginning of the class I did not consider myself an avid digital learner but once I truly learned what digital learning was I found I was more literate than I originally thought.  Video games are a major part of digital literacy because as you play the game you are interacting by choosing your character, reading about the game, learning to play, and communicating with other players. 

            Upon searching video games and digital literacy, I ran across the following blog/article.  I chose the article because it is about gaming becoming a part of literacy.  This is very true when you consider the definition of digital literacy.  I enjoyed the article because it focuses on different aspects of video games It also has a section about video games and kids. 

References:
Levassur, A. (2011, Oct. 17). Is Gaming the New Essential Literacy? [MindShift Blog]. Retrieved from http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2011/10/can-playing-games-teach-literacy/

Steinkuehler, C. (2010). Digital Literacies. Journal Of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 54(1), 61 63. doi:10.1598/JAAL.54.1.7

6 comments:

  1. "Although video games have great potential to be powerful vehicles for learning, there is no guarantee this will happen. Just as there is no guarantee that someone will understand the themes and symbols of The Lord of the Flies by simply reading it. As a result, kids need parents, teachers and their peers to engage their gaming in thoughtful ways."

    I really like this quote from the article you linked. I agree that in order to students to get the most educational benefits from video games, we as teachers have to be involved in the process; by playing the game with them, talking with them, promoting collaboration with their peers, connecting the experience to the real world, and creating problems for them to solve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your blog/article. As a math teacher, I'm often faced with trying to motivate students to problem-solve, as well as, focus on the process of how and why, rather than the steps and answers. I, also, enjoyed the three ways parents can help their children by: (1) play games, (2) connect games to books, movies, TV, and the world around them, and finally (3) have children collaborate with peers to analyze and interpret games, as well as, share strategies. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaming as an essential literacy? Yes, YEs, YES! I look at how my grandsons interact with games and I can't help but wonder how they will continue to grow in their digital journey. We do traditional flash cards, but they have an IPad App too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting article! I liked how the article said gaming was a "new interactive language!" How true! There are so many games(like Gardens of Time) that have a whole "social" and interactive element to it now. I never remember it being nearly as interactive 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My opinion of digital literacy has changed as well with my recent classes. I didn't realize how much vocabulary can be taught to students through games. I can even see it in my nephews lives. They pick up gaming terms like "power-leveling" and "kiting" from the time that I visit with them until the next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this article Heather! Before I read the comments I read the article I was going to share:

    Although video games have great potential to be powerful vehicles for learning, there is no guarantee this will happen. Just as there is no guarantee that someone will understand the themes and symbols of The Lord of the Flies by simply reading it. As a result, kids need parents, teachers and their peers to engage their gaming in thoughtful ways.

    I noticed Abigail already shared it! I think this is an important theme in our readings and videos. As educators and parents we need "get in to the game" with our students and children!

    ReplyDelete