Monday, February 4, 2013

Teens, Games and Civics

Teens, Games and Civics

3 things I learned:

1.      I knew teens played a lot of video games but I had no idea how many varieties.  80% of teens play five or more different game genres, and 40% play eight or more types of games. 
2.      I was surprised to learn the majority of most popular games are not violent. 
3.      I am not sure how I feel about the next thing I learned, “Teens who play games with others in the room exhibit more civic participation.”

 2 things I agree with:

1.      I agree and was not shocked to learn that the industry rating system does not always work.  32% of gaming teens report that at least one of their favorite games is rated mature or adults only. 
2.      I agree that there are many genres of games that are more broadly popular than others, some of which lead themselves to group play. 

 1 question you have

1.      I am not sure my question is a question, but why don’t parents pay more attention to what their children are doing?  I myself don’t have children but when I watch my cousins or friends children I always know what they are watching and/or playing. 

1 comment:

  1. Most parents are busy trying to support their families. I try to keep an eye on my kids but some things slip by me. I just found a video my kids made of themselves beating each other up. Not cool and kind of creepy.

    ReplyDelete